Sunday, July 12, 2009

I kidd you not

This is the world that we live in:) So I am hoping to find a child to babysit during the week so that we don't have to loose my income completely after quitting Humana. I did have a co-worker of mine that just had a baby and had asked me to nanny for her during the week. It didn't really work out monetarily speaking, we both had different ideas of pay. So I have been looking on the local college web sites for posted nanny positions. I stumbled upon this gem yesterday:


Company / Position: Private Family / Childcare Provider / Nanny

Description: We are seeking an experienced childcare provider to care for our 9 week old daughter. We require someone who can care for our baby full time. That means 7:30-5:00 or 5:30 M-F. We practice attachment parenting and are seeking someone who knows about this style of parenting or who is willing to read up on it. We ask that the caregiver "wear" the baby and provide lots of engaging activities.

Qualifications: Preferred candidates will have at least 3 years of providing in-home nanny experience, preferably with 2 years experience with infants. Early childhood development majors will get first consideration.

Hours Per Week: 40-45

Ok....so I don't know your "parenting style" and don't get me started. This is not a bash against "attachment parenting", (it is a parenting style that the baby is worn in a sling or carrier all day and sleeps with the parents) Ben and I don't practice it, but I know there are people that do. But this ad just struck me as hilarious and frankly sad. You are practicing a style of parenting that is supposed to benefit your child by a high level of attachment to their parent, and this genius is looking for some one else to do it. Is it just me or does this scream "I am a lazy parent and don't want to do it myself, so I am willing to pay someone to be attached to my baby for me".? Come on...."attachment parenting" where the only attaching your baby will get to you is a few hours at night and the weekends? wow

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Wow Chels. That is pretty sad. I don't recommend taking that position! ;)